Thursday, August 15, 2013

Carry-On Baggage


Just finished the last uphill of the Coast-to-Coast -- that's the Irish Sea I'm kind of kicking. 

I love my backpack, but it's clearly too small for the LT. In the pic above, the rain cover is pregnant with my waterproof trousers, because they wouldn’t fit inside the pack. So…I’m looking for a backpack. I want to use the smallest functional pack. From percussion-gigging, I know that extra gear/weight slows you down. It’s why I now have three marimbas – 3, 4, and 5-octave ranges – and take the smallest/lightest instrument that will work for the gig.




Gerard’s cake, camp-chair, radio and harmonica apparently got him in scoffing internet-trouble with Ultralighters… It seems some hikers REALLY CARE what other people carry. There’s a lot of judgment, bullying, oneup(wo)manship and smugness. Why?

I presume it’s a combination of jealousy (Gerard’s cake!), insecurity (ultralight gear’s expensive) and wanting to control/dominate others. In other circles, this is called “taking another person’s inventory”. In hiking, it’s literal – inventory-judging what another person carries on their back. I see the same behaviour, less literally, in music, in relationships, even in "competitive" feminism. Bossy-bullying ultralighters are saying more about what they carry in their own hearts than in their backpacks.

I think of this when others tell me, with forceful certainty, what I should or shouldn’t wear-say-play on stage. What drumsticks are best. Why wives shouldn’t tour. How much I should weigh. Whenever someone belittles, heckles or bullies me (or a friend), I wonder why they care what we’re carrying. 

I don’t give a crap what anyone else carries on the trail. I’m just trying to find my own balance -- I’m probably going to take some novels. Does anyone care?  




3 comments:

  1. on-topic, I'm interested in this backpack (same brand as my super-comfy little one): http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Berghaus/VulcanIIRucksack.aspx

    Any thoughts/feelings/experience to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The absolute best book that I've read in years is _Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World_ by Haruki Murakami. It's not a perky little number so perhaps not ideal for your trek, but it's engrossing and very much Not American, especially the ending. (There are thugs, so I guess it's A Bit American.) It deserves to be read on paper, not one of those 'lectronic things.

    Hey--that backpack you're considering is Vulcan! Major bonus. points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation DW, I want to read that book!

    ReplyDelete