Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The road may be rough / but don't you, don't you, ever get stuck



“Slithery and powerful”. That’s how my other half describes the feeling of operating a chainsaw while wearing an all-spandex outfit. It’s also the feeling I go for when I’m playing rocksteady music on the drumkit. Coming from a rock background, I’ve had to reverse the beat and layer my approach differently.

Your basic rock beat: kick-snare-kick-snare, fast and heavy. Closed, muffled “kick” sound with heel-up pedal technique and mashing the beater into the head. Snares on, striking right in the centre of the snare and toms. 2B drumsticks, or even the Ralph Hardimon signatures for fast and hard tom beats. Articulating on the front side of the beat as I’m naturally wont to do.



Your basic one-drop as used in rocksteady: walking left-right-left-right, steady and soulful. A lot of it is like a basic swing beat with the order of the feet reversed. The bass drum open, heel-down and “pitchy”. Snare drum a stick-butt rim-click, or a timbale sound. Slithering on the hats and cymbals – I call it “bothering” the hi-hat -- with AJ2 sticks that keep the momentum back a little from the stick tip. Asymmetrical ratamacues with one tip, one butt. Using the edge of the drumhead for a ringing and pitchy tone. Dropping the occasional powerful stick-butt bomb on the floor tom or rack.



Distance running turns out to be a lot more like rocksteady than rock. “Light and right” works as a mantra for both; on a pre-gig 10K this weekend I enjoyed the distance by slithering along in the mid-to-back of the beat-bubble (and the “pack”). A “rock” approach to road running – slamming into the surfaces really fast and hard – doesn’t work.

not my feet.

I’ll bear this in mind on the Long Trail – try to hike in the centre of the beat, take it easy for a smoother “flow”, and keep it slithery yet powerful.


Meantime, I have a 3-hour gig tonight with 7-piece rocksteady crew Steady Betty. Burlington, Vermont, 7-10pm at Red Square. Hopefully out of doors. 

Steady Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment