Friday, August 9, 2013

The Portable Percussionist: Long Trail concert tour

Announcing…..

The Portable Percussionist: Long Trail concert tour




What? This September/early October, I’m going to be thru-hiking the Long Trail --272 miles running the length of Vermont – from the Canadian border down to Massachusetts. Along the way, I’ll stop off and give solo concerts/clinics, for “portable” percussion. That means found objects, bits of wood, stones, ceramic flowerpots, etc. I’ll be playing some pieces from the Frog Peak ‘Rock Music’ collection (you can guess the instrumentation), Rzewski’s ‘To The Earth’, and first performances of works by Jacob Mashak and Dennis Báthory-Kitsz. The concert schedule will be announced very soon (I’m still looking for a few venues/schools/barns/houses/galleries to play in Central and Southern Vermont), and each day I’ll share up to 272 words about the project. There’s a lot to plan, from scheduling to repertoire to sleeping options to percussion mallets to food to blister control.

Why? Because I love music and I love hiking. Because any kind of adventure is good. Because the Vermont winter is around the corner, and spending September almost entirely outdoors will be good for my muscles, head and heart. Because (thanks to a grant from the Vermont Community Foundation), I can help bring some brand-new music into the world, while seeing things I’ve never seen before.


How? Have you gone completely mad? On balance, I don’t think a thru-hike is intrinsically more dangerous than a regular road commute. I’ve already solo-hiked two of the LT’s 12 divisions, and last year I thru-hiked the UK’s Coast-to-Coast trail. I’m planning and prepping the Long Trail tour carefully, and hope to have friends join me for sections of the hike. 


Vermont Community Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment