Tuesday, August 13, 2013

LT list: Why?


In Appalachian Trials, Zach Davis says that a prospective thru-hiker should write lists ahead of time. The first – why (the …) are you doing this? Here’s Zach’s own list, with the points that also apply to yours truly in green.

·         "I need some time to re-evaluate the direction of my career
·         I am craving an adventure larger than life
·         Life is short, do awesome shit, stupid
·         Postponing happiness until retirement is a flawed life approach
·         I have the rest of my life to sit in front of a computer
·         I want to expose myself to a new environment
·         I need a change of pace
·         What I’m currently doing isn’t working
·         I suck at backpacking" (Davis p.28).

...

I am concert-tour-through-hiking the Long Trail because:

·         I love music  
·         I love hiking
·         Because any kind of adventure is good.
·         Because the Vermont winter is around the corner, and spending September almost entirely outdoors will be good for my muscles, head and heart.
·         I can help bring some brand-new music into the world, while seeing things I’ve never seen before.
·         A month off freelance writing/away from the computer would be really nice. The trip will give me something interesting to write about in future.
·         The hiking-concert-tour makes me stand out professionally.
·         These concerts will have the easiest load-in… ever.
·         A little bit of true freedom. I spend a lot of my time doing things I have to do, this is something I want to do.
·         All these will get stronger: my hearing eye, my seeing ear, my ability to practice anywhere, all my physical components.

So I’ll remember this list when I’m blistery, tired and noxious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment